Monday, October 19, 2009

THE HEBER CREEPER

I have been wanting to take my kids on the Heber Valley Railroad for a while now. We always have so much to do when we go up north, that we never seem to find the time. A few weekends ago, we had to go up for Kacey's wedding, and decided to go a day early to ride the train and spend the day together as a family. The kids were super excited! This train is a big part of my childhood. I can remember riding it as a kid. I especially remember riding during Christmas time and getting to visit Santa on the train. I lived not far from the tracks, and I can remember summer days spent with friends waiting for the train whistle and then getting on our bikes and racing down to watch it pass. We did the long trek- 3 hours. We left the station in Heber, went along the shores of Deer Creek Reservoir, and down the BEAUTIFUL Provo Canyon. Then we turned around in the canyon and headed back home. We had a good time for the most part. It was a pretty cold day so we had the train mostly to ourselves. Trace was absolutely amazed. He loved watching everything that was going on, and loved to look at the scenery. A trait from his dad no doubt-- He watched the conductor like a hawk. He was very interested in everything that he did. The whistle was a little loud for both of them, that's the thing they liked the least for sure. Poor Tayia had a broken arm AND a super bad eye infection. The last half of the ride for her was spent screaming because her eye hurt and sleeping. After the fact, it was defiantly worth the money and we had a wonderful time BUT if I were to do it again, I would do a shorter ride. Three hours was too long for my little ones. So, if you are ever in the Heber area, this is a fun thing to do with your kiddies!



Trace got to be the first one on board. The conductor picked him out of the people that were waiting to get on and had him stand on this stool and yell "ALL ABOARD"



Poor Tay- she had a rough day...


Feels like home to me........... Here is a view of where I grew up. Beautiful huh?

5 comments:

Brimaca said...

We go for the Polar Express but it's way too short. Need a happy medium I guess. The pics you took were great. I love Heber Valley. Miss it for sure.

talonandanna said...

great that you were able to find the time to take the kiddos to the creeper! it's so fun! love this last picture! thanks for making time to visit with us too while you were here. sorry you're all sick. :(

Rasmussens said...

Looks like a fun day! I've been on the Polar Express Ride once with my family, it's a fun ride.

Sandi said...

I've wanted to do this for a long time but I heard it is a little long. Do you know how long the "short ride" is? I love your family picture at the end:) Cute fam!

Sandi said...

I've wanted to do this for a long time but I heard it is a little long. Do you know how long the "short ride" is? I love your family picture at the end:) Cute fam!